Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Terrible, No Good, Post-Partum Blues

A few months after I gave birth to Elliot I started experiencing symptoms of post partum depression. I had read about it but did not know anyone that had it and had not had any problems with it after I had Ian, so I kept thinking that it would go away. My main problem was feelings of anxiety. I felt like I had the world on my shoulders and cried a lot. Eventually it got so bad that I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. I told her how I was feeling and she immediately said it was very common (especially with having a 2nd child, which I did not know) and prescribed medication for me.
The medication helped immediately and I eventually started feeling great again. I am now happy most of the time and feel like I can handle all of my responsibilities. I have my awesome family to thank for helping me through it. I felt really guilty about putting my family through it but Adam said that he knows I couldn't help it and I guess that is what family is for.
I decided to blog about it because no one really talks about PPD or admits that they had a problem with it, and I definitely understand that. It is hard to admit that there is something that we cannot handle on our own. But if you or someone you love have experienced it, please know that you are not alone!

3 comments:

Lindsey's Story said...

I feel for you! I've been there before and it's the most horrible feeling. I'm so glad you did something about it.

FiDesigns said...

I experienced that for a few weeks after I had Lee. It was such aweful feelings that you just cant make go away! I was lucky Josh was so understanding! Oh and I am not sure which earrings you were talking about so if you could email me if your mom is still interested that would be great. b7_2003@yahoo.com

Danielle said...

I also suffered from post partum anxiety... I wasn't depressed as much as I was angry and aggitated all the time. My first daughter cried all the time and I had just been laid off from my job... I thought I wanted to fall in a hole for a few months! Luckily, my doctor prescribed me something to take the edge off and get my chemicals balanced again and I was able to just take them for about 3 months. I was ashamed to talk about it too because I thought it made me a bad mother, but my doctor explained that it is CHEMICAL and medication is the only thing that can regulate you back out. Luckily, with my 2nd daughter I was able to relax more. Breastfeeding was a good stress reliever and I went back to work after 6wks, so I got some adult interaction. Thank you for sharing your story :)
(Can't wait for our babies to be playmates )